I love a good vegetable. I could quite easily become a full blown vegetation or even *sharp intake of breath* a vegan! My other half is lactose intolerant, so vegan recipes are a great way of finding dairy free recipes easily.
I spent almost a year pretty much eating meat free a few years ago. I first moved to London and into catered accomodation. Every evening there was either a meat option or something vegetarian. On my first night I selected a chicken salad. I cut into a larger piece of chicken and it was raw in the middle. After that I never chose the meat option at meal time again.
I was living on an even smaller budget than my current one at the time and would usually make a lunch of either humous and ryvita or beans on toast for lunch. So without thinking I was petty much a vegetrian. Although one of those ones that eats fish also!
After moving into a shared house and hallelujah finally having a kitchen to cook in again, I found I very rarely bought meat. Whipping up a vegetable stir-fry and noodles is quick and easy after a busy day at work. Fuss free without the added complication of cooking meat.
Now I live with the other half and as we all know, men like to eat meat. We tend to eat meat at least every other day in our evening meal.
We both take a keen interest in food by being passionate about finding new recipes and trying new things. Through this process we have looked into finding more about our food and where it comes from. We both have small budgets and after speaking to a family friend who is a dietician they recommended when on a budget to buy staple items like pulses and grains organic as well as vegetables and dairy products.
As a result we looked into getting an organic veg box delivered each week. We found a company that a friend had previously used so we knew what quality to expect.
We rotate our boxes, and one week have a medium sized box that also contains potatoes and the next week have a seasonal box so we can take advantage of vegetables that are in season.
We could never go back to not having a veg box in our life now! We love trying all the new different vegetables each week. Sometimes we aren't even sure what some of them are, so it is a great learning experience too.
We make everything from brussel sprout risotto to mustard swede chips!



No comments:
Post a Comment